Okay guys, I promised I would share this recipe if the taste test went well and it did, so here we are. I honestly love to cook. I love to provide a good home cooked meal for Shaun and I. Not only does it make me incredibly proud when a dish I whip up tastes amazing, but it makes me even prouder when I create the dish myself. I love that cooking is such a creative outlet.
Homemade pizza is one of my staples. It is extremely easy and I have gotten it down to a science (see this post).
This morning I was glued to the cooking channel while finishing up some homework, and show after show the theme was spring. Spring meals are some of my absolute favorite. They’re light and colorful, filled with bright flavors and colors.
Shaun and I love a honey mustard pizza from a local pizza shop up in Lake Arrowhead, we grab it every time we trek up there. This pizza was definitely inspired by it. It’s covered in a homemade honey mustard sauce, light cheeses, and lots of colorful veggies. Then to top it off, a balsamic reduction, my favorite thing ever.
Whip this up yourself, you won’t regret it… I promise! Use the hashtag #PoisedAvenue and #PoisedAvenueRecipes so I can see your creations too!
- Pizza dough (I used Trader Joe's brand)
- yellow mustard
- minced garlic
- black pepper
- red pepper flakes
- mozzarella cheese
- ricotta cheese
- red onion
- cherry or mini plum tomatoes (I used plum)
- chicken breast
- balsamic vinegar
- fresh basil
1. Preheat oven according to dough instructions (TJ's is 475 F)
2. Once dough is to room temperature, begin to knead and stretch it to fit a pizza pan
3. Mix together honey mustard sauce using yellow mustard, honey, garlic, pepper, and chili flakes (I eyeballed the measurements, see my photo above)
4. Coat crust area of dough with olive oil
5. Spread honey mustard sauce over pizza
6. Add mozzarella & ricotta, diced red onion, diced tomato, and cooked chicken, diced
7. Cook for about 10 minutes and then broil on low for about 2-5 minutes (checking on it often)
8. While pizza cooks, start balsamic drizzle. Bring 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar and about 1/2 Tbsp honey to a simmer, reducing it by half. It should be thick enough to coat a spoon when finished.
9. When pizza comes out of the oven, sprinkle it with fresh basil, arugula, and balsamic drizzle
10. Top with salt and pepper to taste