So, I have been trying to come up with a fun recipe for easter & a few days ago I saw these little bird’s nest macaroons and was inspired to put them on top of a cupcake because cupcakes are my jam! I started by just making a lemon cupcake. Usually I would make cupcakes from scratch but I was in a time crunch so these cupcakes are box cupcakes- hey! All cupcakes deserve love! & I am definitely willing to give it 😉
- cooking spray or preferred oil
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 package (14 oz) sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Coat mini muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Stir together egg whites and salt with a fork; mix in coconut. Drop 2 Tbsp of mixture into each prepared tin.
- Lightly press mixture into bottom and up sides of each cup, shaping the nests.
- Bake until light golden, about 28-30 min.
- Let cool in tins on a wire rack for 10 mins. Run a thin knife around edges, to loosen, before taking them out of tins.
You can even make these and serve them on their own!
For the frosting I just whipped up a basic buttercream. You’ll need 1/2 a cup of unsalted butter, 5 cups of powder sugar, 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract and 1/4 a cup of milk.
- Whip the butter in a mixer until fluffy.
- Add powder sugar (one cup at a time) until combined.
- Add vanilla & milk
I hope you guys enjoy these cute cupcakes on Easter! Let me know if you make them yourself!